Profile image for MIKENEWS

Are stay-cations still the holiday plan for 2010?

Last year, the credit crunch crippled many people’s plans for a sunshine break abroad so many took to chance to explore the UK holiday market with a so called ‘stay-cation’.

I’m no economist and even as just an Joe Average it’s hard to tell whether we are emerging from the recession. I’ve been lucky enough to have a trip abroad this year – a five day break in Barcelona in early June. I can recommend the city and it wasn’t as expensive as I’d expected. Ok there is little value to be had out of the Euro, but food, drink and excursion prices were reasonable – well compared to London!

So my next trip won’t be until December for the Bath Christmas Market. Booking early we’ve secured a four star apartment for what I think is a bit of a snip of just under £100 a night.

For you this summer, is it Benidorm or Blackpool, St Tropez or Torbay, Lake Garda or the Lake District?

By MIKENEWS at 14:49 on 27/07/10

Re-post           

• Profile image for Lemonjelly

Its tricky - you can get so many good deals to go abroad - it can be cheaper than staying over here. I guess the fairest way to do it is to include all the add on costs, like getting to the airport, parking, transfers.
    It depends where you go it can be cheaper to eat (and more importantly drink!) when you're aboard.
    For me there is places in this country, like Cornwall, that are absolutely stunning. On balance - go for what you can afford! I'd say it pays to have a shop around and do some internet research. Finally, its not aways last minute dot com - I've got some really good deals by booking early (particularly flights). Booking them at the New Year for the summer for example - same applies for booking parking at the airport! :-)

By Lemonjelly at 17:15 on 29/07/10

• Profile image for wowwowwalton

Not just cost, holidaying in England is fantastic, particularly when the sun shines. There's beautiful beaches, stunning countryside and fantastic city breaks. It was great this week to see how much money the tourist industry provides to the economy. My recommendation would have to be York for a city break. And for city breaks I'd recommend thetrainline.com - book early for cheap tickets and let the train take the strain!

By wowwowwalton at 09:04 on 31/07/10

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent